This recipe is a family favorite. Paleo and kid-friendly too!
When I was a child, my mother let me pick my favorite homemade dinner to be served the evening of my birthday. This was so exciting for me and my siblings… to have control over the meal that evening was something to look forward to. I have continued the same tradition for my children with hopes of making them feel important and special on their birthday as I did when I was young. My daughter’s birthday dinner pick, without fail, is Sloppy Joes! She absolutely loves this dish.
For those of you who follow my Instagram photos, it is no surprise that in my house, we have Sloppy Joe’s in a bowl. In the past, I put the Sloppy Joe’s over white rice. However, white rice is not nutrient dense. So I have swapped the rice for cauliflower “rice” which is full of nutrients and is a low carbohydrate choice. This swap did not happen overnight. With my kids, I found I had to be patient. I started by first making the dish less often. That way when I did make it they would look forward to having it. At first I put the Sloppy Joe’s over a mixture of half rice and half cauliflower rice and eventually made it using only cauliflower rice. Now, I have no problems serving it this way frequently. If you prefer rice, I recommend purchasing a sprouted version or soaking the rice the night before. My children eat rice and many other grains but who does not want their kids to consume more vegetables and nutrients? I found this to be a great way to do just that. A family favorite for sure!
- 2 Tbsp ghee or butter, divided
- 2 pounds 100% grass-fed, organic ground beef or ground bison
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 6 Tbsp or 7 oz jar tomato paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp raw honey (omit for Whole30)
- 16 oz bag cauliflower rice, washed
- Sliced olives
- Diced onions
- Sliced leeks
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded raw chees
- Heat 1 Tbsp ghee or butter in a 4 to 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add ground beef and brown while breaking up the meat.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute until soft.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together: chicken bone broth, tomato paste, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and honey.
- Add sauce to meat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining ghee or butter over medium heat. Stir in cauliflower, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fill bowls with cauliflower rice, then add Sloppy Joes and desired toppings.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @trueats and hashtag #trueats on Instagram or on True & Simple Eats facebook page. I’d love to know what you think! Enjoy!