Cake like waffles with just the right sweetness? Yes, please!
These are my new breakfast LOVE!! Eat them right away or make a bunch and freeze them, then toast them and still have a soft spongy texture thanks to the sweet potatoes! They are dairy-free, grain-free, and naturally sweetened.
Makes 2 waffles
- 1/2 c baked sweet potato (cook them tonight, see here)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites (save the yolks and make salty kombucha mayo)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- coconut oil to grease the waffle iron
- Coconut butter or cream
- Heat the waffle iron.
- Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir with a fork until smooth.
- Grease the waffle iron with coconut oil.
- Pour half the batter onto the waffle iron and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Use a fork to gently remove the waffle and put on a plate.
- Repeat the last 2 steps using the remaining batter.
Serve immediately with fresh fruit and coconut butter (my favorite) or coconut cream. Leftover waffles can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week and guess what? they freeze well too for an easy pop in the toaster and go on busy mornings!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @trueats and hashtag #trueats on Instagram or on True & Simple Eats facebook page. I’d love to know what you think! Enjoy!